Friday, August 27, 2010

Why DOES man create?

"It only takes a cup of water to cover 2 miles of fog"

On this third day of class many agenda items were covered.  First, I have to say that my students in ALL my classes have shown exceptionally good manners.  As I have explained the concepts of our journey this year, they have been attentive, quiet, and have exhibited much interest.  Today we discussed the 1st cycle's overall lesson...the study of LINE and BALANCE.  I talked about ELEMENTS OF ART as being the TOOLS we use to create art, and LINE being one of them.  I talked about the PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN as being the RULES that we have for better use of the tools, and BALANCE being one of them.  The analogy I feel makes it easiest to understand is a discussion of football...all those guys out there on lines, wearing colors, textures, etc. need to know what it is they should do in order for the game to go on.  I  introduced them to a set of art books to see what they could discover about this cycle's tool and rule.  They will be testing themselves over what they find, so they needed to take notes in their log book.
Toward the end of the period, I set up the projector and we watched WHY MAN CREATES.  This is an award winning movie done in the 60's that explores man's fascination with the world and what drives him to create, whether in art, science, or industry.  Thomas Edison, Earnest Hemingway, and Albert Einstein are pictured and quoted.  As Einstein said, "as one grows older, one sees the impossibility of imposing your will on the chaos with brute force.  But if you're patient there may come that moment when, while eating an apple, the solution presents itself politely and says, here I am".  I have shown this movie several times over the years, starting back in the 70's.  This 50 year old movie, directed by Saul Bass, is still one of the best at explaining that age old question, why DOES man create.  "Among all the variety of human expression, a thread of connection, a common mark can be seen; that urge to look into oneself and out at the world and say this is what I am.  I am unique.  I am here.  I am."
All of my forms I needed copying were finished so I picked them up to hand out next week.  My third period class and I went down to the book room and checked out a class set of the current art textbook.  
I can see us easily getting into the throes of this self-dircted process by next Thursday.  I am totally excited by the prospect of what this approach to my curriculum will bring forth.  I'll try to get some more forms up on the other site asap.  Having a bit of trouble getting the forms loaded in.  Till next time.



1 comment:

Derek said...

Really interested in hearing how this plays out! I see many other areas of study benefiting from this approach. Intrinsic motivation in our public schools! Thanks for doing this Doug. We need it.