Friday, August 26, 2011

"Getting to KNOW you" on a FUN FRIDAY

I have two beginning Jewelry classes with about 25 students in each class.  My advanced class only has 10 students, so I didn't go through this exercise with them.  I grouped 4 or 5 students together at the tables.
I had a student think of a number between 1 and 5.  I gave each student a number, asked the student what number she had chosen, and had THAT number be the leader of the group.  Then I had them introduce themselves and each other to the small group and go around three times.  This was so each person in that small group knows by name all the other members of the group.  My reasoning that I explained is that many times they will need help putting something together, cleaning up, or just for a little help.  Now they know a few students they can call on.

We continued with the paper designing pieces of jewelry project.  In this case I told them they could trade pieces of paper cut outs with each other in their group.  At the end of the first period I had each group choose the design they liked best, I took an picture of the grouping, and then projected the photo on the screen for them to comment on.  In the last period I had each student create 9 designs (3 geometric shape based, 3 organic shape, and 3 free form) and then glue them down to a piece of copy paper, label them and turn them in.  I took pictures of some of them and have posted them here.

The students got along quite well together and seemed to easily spend time taking through the discussions.  I plan to continue this collaborative endeavor throughout the year in these classes.  Below find some of the designs created today.  Thanks for viewing.





















No comments: