Tuesday, November 2, 2010

..."but you can't make him drink"

"The harder you work, the luckier you get"
Gary Player

I wanted the students today to once again take stock of their goals and where they were in the accomplishment of them.  We looked at our logs from Monday of last week and wrote down in our logs what we did since then to further the goals we established.

A few of the students finished their works today and we hung a few in the hall display cabinets.  I told them that they weren't REALLY "finished" like they would have been in a "normal" art curriculum.  We still have 4 class days after today till the end of this cycle and the lesson.  I reminded them of the test grading on Monday and to be sure and have that work completed.  I also encouraged them to look through the source material, i.e. the books on the counter and the art magazines in the cabinet to see if anything they see their might inspire them to do anything further on their art work.  I also said that if they should be inspired to work on any other project in the time they had left, that I would get them all the materials they would nee to do it, even if if didn't have any direct relation to the current lesson. 

I will have to admit to the need to remind students about how I feel about their behavior in class.  As much freedom of choice as I want them to have, I simply haven't the ability ( or the laissez faire attitude) to allow too much slacking off.  I want them to develop self-discioline, to set and accomplish self directed goals, and to achieve greatness. I told them saying, "you can lead a horse to water, etc."and said, BUT you can isolate the horses who keep the others from drinking.  So I re-located a couple of students to see if their new working areas were more conducive to everyone's benefit.   

I have been sort of fascinated with the progression of this composition since Natalie began it.  I have taken a few pictures of it as she has moved along and posted a couple on the blog.  We have it hanging in the hall display case at present.  I'm sorry I didn't close the door to the office and drown out the sounds of the class during this short video, but I think enough of what she said is plain enough.

No comments: