Monday, October 4, 2010

Cycle Two, we begin ANEW



I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.



[info][add][mail]
Frida Kahlo (1907 - 1954)


I haven't used the overhead projector for a while.  I decided that today I would demonstrate and discuss the concept of PERSPECTIVE with my students.  We talked about EYE LEVEL, VANISHING POINT, and THREE DIMENSIONAL drawing.  Since this cycle's lesson deals with SHAPES and the principle of design RHYTHM AND MOVEMENT,  I chose to include drawing all kinds of shapes in one point perspective.  I thought it might be kind of fun for some of the students who didn't pursue the still life assignment with enthusiasm.  They appeared to enjoy the way in which the common GEOMETRIC shapes took on more interest when drawn in perspective, becoming forms.

Next we got out the ART TALK books and looked at the unit on Rhythm and Movement and I discussed with them the idea of "BEAT" and the concept of REGULAR and ALTERNATING RHYTHMIC patterns in music.  As they looked through the chapter, I pointed out some of the ways artists use this principle in their paintings.

I told them that all their grades were in and that they could take their paintings home, bring them up to place in the hall display cabinets, or leave them to finish in their portfolios.  A number of them brought up to hang and were quite excited about going out to see them hung.  I've taken a picture of one of the displays and posted it here.  I just love the variety of expressions, subjects, sizes, and media represented.  

I did have a "bubble bursting moment" today, however.  Nothing to do with the curriculum itself, but maybe the disappointment was more severe because of what I feel I'm providing for the students.  I use an ipod shuffle to present movies and slide shows to my classes.  Sometime during 2nd period today, one of the students stole it.  The security guards were not able to find it among any of the students belongings.  It held up their going to their next class and my 3rd period from coming in on time.  As a result, today, my 3rd period was not privy to the same presentation of slides.  We will need to do that on Wed.  I hope by talking about the incident here that I'll be able to "get past" it and "let it go".  In all the 40 years I have taught, this is the first incident of this kind that has ever happened.  Maybe I should feel lucky.  Right now I just feel betrayed.

1 comment:

0blivion said...

Sorry to hear about your iPod Shuffle
hope you find it