Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Gentlemen, and Ladies...START YOUR ENGINES!"

"I do not consider my self as having mastered the flute, but I
 get a real kick out of trying."
Sir James Galway   December 8, 1939

I was wanting to shoot just a little footage today of student "work in progress" so I went over to SaVonne's area and saw that she was just far enough along to accommodate this activity.  I wish I had pursued it a bit further with her, but I know you will get the point of the discussion.





At the beginning of the period, in order to possibly influence some of the students to move along with their artwork, I spoke of an analogy.  I told them how much I enjoyed coming around to their places and seeing what they were doing, making suggestions, and asking them questions.  I said that some of them reminded me of that "fictional" race car driver sitting in the pits.  As a coach, I can suggest how fast to drive, where to turn, when to pass the other cars, etc.  But you have to "be in the race" for me to be able to do that.  If you are sitting in the pits with your engine turned off, the only advice I can give you is,
"start your engines" and move out onto the track.  THEN I can do my job of helping you in any way I can so you can be successful.  To be honest, however, some of the students are just taking more time to prepare their designs at the sketching stage...but they STILL need to get started on their final works instead of being so elaborate at this stage.

Had a very nice compliment for the program today, although unspoken.  I needed to be out of the room for a few minutes.  While I was away, my supervisor/evaluator stepped in for an informal observation.  I came in, said hello, went into the room and moved among the students as I usually do.  When he was finished with his notes, he handed me the form, smiled and said, yes when I asked him if he had ever had the chance to read my blog.  The notes on the observation form were all positive.  I especially liked the check marks for "engaged" and "student directed activity".  I complimented my students when he left for being on task even though I wasn't there and helping to verify the strength of the program.   Very cool!

No comments: