Sunday, April 3, 2011

Temptation #1

"All good ideas arrive by chance."
Max Ernst   April 2, 1891

Since Ernst was an inspiration for one of the processes I introduced to my students during this lesson on texture (DECALCOMANIA), I thought it highly incidental to quote him during this cycle.  I find his works to be quite exciting and I know my students have had the greatest time going through the process of ripping away the paper from the surface they have put down paint to see the fun textures, patterns, and color combinations that are derived.

I just returned from a week in Florida where I spent looking at hundreds of pieces of fabulous pottery and sculpture during the 45th annual N.C.E.C.A. conference. The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts is a large, unified organization whose member come from a wide variety of people who, in one way or another, work in or around the medium of CLAY.  We are teachers, students, professional potters, sculptors, manufacturers, hobbyists, and just plain folks who like to get their hands dirty.   

Since my entire premise of introducing this "student directed art curriculum" and working within its parameters this year started with the concept of INTRINSIC MOTIVATION, I figured that one post on this blog having to do with an entire body of artists whose entire physical, psychological, spiritual, and economical well-being reflects this concept would be appropriate.

Here is a short little video I took of just one of the pieces I had the privilege of being exposed to this week.

No comments: