Friday, June 3, 2011

Some student comments about their year in art

"Start with what is right rather than what  is acceptable."
Franz Kafka   June 3, 1924

I'm not sure if what I started with was "right" or not.  It certainly has had limited acceptance.  However, I asked my students to comment on the class and the year in Art 1.  Last winter I posted some of the actual comments directly from their test papers.  I'm not sure how much of that post was clear enough to read because of the quality of the scan and the readability of the handwriting.  So this time I am going to go through the tests and pick out some students comments and simply type them in.

I like how we worked with watercolor.  I disliked the india ink stuff...didn't catch my attention.
I liked the freedom.  I really didn't like the project for the last 6 weeks.  I didn't like taking this test.
This semester was a lot more satisfying.  I liked the grading process, but thought it was too complicated.  I enjoyed this class very much because you tell us what to do but give us choices at the same time.  I didn't like pressing hard with crayon on the last project and then crumpling it.

I loved the final  project though.  It was an advantage for us to grade ourselves as long as we were doing what we were supposed to.
  
Art 1 was fun.  I got to do things I had never done before.  I would have to say this was the best class I was in all year.  I couldn't wait to get to this class every day.

This semester was great.  I liked the fact that I had a steady goal I could work towards.  The grading system sounds great on paper, but giving the students too much freedom will eventually turn into a bad idea.  The use of the teacher's authority helps make the class more organized seeing as we need a leader or we become restless and can't finish our work.  You should be more strict with the students who give you problems.  I am going to take art next year.  I want to try pottery.

That last paragraph was by Juan.  I highlighted him in a short video as well as posted his work as the cover for the students website.  


No comments: