Sunday, November 13, 2011

Making Papier Mache Masks 2011

Its been a couple of months since I last posted to this blog, and so here I am again.  I haven't paid too much attention as to who has been looking to see what's happening here.

Since the classes in Jewelry had been working with paper and paper mache to create pieces of jewelry, I decided to capitalize on their learning and experience and have them create masks.  I showed them a series of different forms of masks.  We looked at examples of ceremonial, day of the dead, masquerade, horror, and funny masks as well as from a variety of ethnicities and cultures.

I demonstrated two forms of creation.  The first being to form a mask based on one's face structure.  I had them use aluminum foil to form over their face/head, use crushed paper or a balloon to help the structure, and then the paper mache strips to construct the mask.  The second was to form a base with crushed paper, roll the edges, and then to form the paper mache strips over that base.

I shot some random video of the students working, along with some still pictures of the pieces in progress.
I also included some shots of the students posing with their creations and a classroom shot of them hanging on the wall in the front of the room.  The music track is from an album by Jamal Mohammed, who was my percussion teacher many years ago when I was creating clay drums.

I hope you enjoy the video and make comments.  Thank you.

No comments: