Wednesday, January 12, 2011

THE test...and student comments

"Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting"
Edmund Burke...1729

A very appropriate quote for today's post.  Today I administered an exam to test my student's "artistic digestion" from the 1st semester's curricular offerings.  The test was designed to encourage each student to recall his/her experiences during the course of each cycle's lesson and relay it in an essay format.  Since we only studied 6 art concepts, i.e. 3 elements of art and 3 principles of design, I figured that the student would have a fairly easy job of remembering his/her details.  For the most part I was correct.  In reading the answers given, I was greatly encouraged by the overall ability of the students to express themselves and discuss at length each of their experiences.  I had them look over their daily log books prior to taking the test and I think that helped jar their memories.  This helped me feel that having done the log books was a good idea.  
The test itself was thus:
1.  During this semester we studied the elements of art and the principles of design.  List the 3 elements of art.
2.  The three principles of design we studied were:
3.  In the space below, combine the element and the principle studied with it.  Discuss as thoroughly as possible what subject, media, and expression you chose to help you demonstrate you understanding of each combination.
Then I asked a question that would elicit comments about how the students' felt about the program and what they would like to do next semester.
One of the best examples of the students' answers to these questions was done by Portia.  Below is her responses.
Then I ran across Maria's paper and couldn't help decide to include her comments:

One more positive feedback comment paragraph by Brittani before we close:
I hope you have enjoyed reading these "testimonials".  I'm still reading them from my last period's class and will possibly be posting some more before I move on.  We start 2nd semester next Wed., Jan. 19.

















No comments: