Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Architecture Students at work DEFINING SPACE

"One of the great things about being a director as a life choice
 is that it can never be mastered. Every story is its own kind
 of expedition, with its own set of challenges."
Ron Howard   [Ronald William Howard]   March 1, 1954

I love it whenever I read or hear of someone as successful as Ron Howard say that he knows that he will never achieve true mastery of his craft.  Learn till the day you die.

Today's blog is fairly simple.  I don't know the whole "story" of how or when the concept for this project began.  All I know is that one day when leaving school I saw this unusual sight in the hallway next to the Architecture Cluster's classrooms.  There were these stacks of classroom chairs all bundled up as though they were going to the trash or something.  Upon closer observation I discovered that they were sort of tied together in groups.  I left, thinking how weird, I need to ask the teachers what's going on.  The next school day I was there at Skyline, as I was again leaving for the day and passing the classrooms, the two architecture teachers were there with a group of students.  I asked one of them, Tom Cox, what was going on.  He said that their students were "defining space" using the clusters of chairs as their medium.  I just HAD to record a few minutes of their activity.  He also said that they would be displaying their creations at the Dallas Museum of Art just after Spring Break.  I will go there and shoot a short video of that display also and post it sometime after that.  Meanwhile, here is the short footage I shot that day.  I know you will enjoy it:

No comments: