Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Class Day #2...Getting Started

Unpacking books I have had stored in the garage for 3 years I ran across a yellow legal pad on the bottom of a plastic bin.  On the top page of the pad I found a bunch of quotes I had thought to be  important/symbolic/meaningful enough to write down.  I decided that I would begin each blog with one of these quotes and add to them so each blog would have a new one.  So:
"Its less what I do...its who I am"
My objective today was to get three things accomplished.  I had purchased spiral notebooks for $.15 at Target and had a stack of left over, used, spirals from years past.  Students had a choice; either buy a new one for that price, or receive a used one for free.  Almost all of the students opted bo buy a new one.  I guess no one likes "hand-me-downs", eh?  Once that was dealt with, I handed out the "CARE SURVEY" questions I made up yesterday.  There are 43 questions ranging from what music do I like to where do I find beauty.  I emphasized these questions/answers were for the students' eyes only.  I wanted them to spend just a little time in self-reflection.  They kept the sheet of questions to refer back to if they want.  The students concentrated and seemed to immerse themselves in the process.
The second activity was to create a portfolio to keep "work in progress" of various sorts.  They will hold a piece of paper 18" X 24" and fit nicely into the drawers I have set aside for them.  I talked about where their personal art materials will be kept locked up and that they could begin bringing them in.
With about 25 minutes left in the period, I set up the projector and introduced them to the movie, WHY MAN CREATES.  This is an award winning movie from the 60's I have shown students through the years and deals with the whole idea of creativity.  There are 7 segments and we watched the first two which are THE EDIFICE and FOOLING AROUND.  From their responses, I could tell that they were getting a lot out of the presentation.
I showed my students my new "toy", which is a holder for my iphone to use as a camera.  While doing so I went ahead and shot a pic of the folders on the table.  This time I will put the pic in a bit smaller so those viewing this blog won't need to wait so long to have it come up.  Learning curve, eh?
I gave my students my blog site address today.  I hope they will be able to go there and keep up with what is going on, as well as their parents.  I hope I can think of enough so that it will be interesting.  Time will tell, eh?
L8r.

No comments: