Saturday, March 12, 2011

MIND over MATTER...color me texture

"What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind."
George Berkeley   March 12, 1685

I always enjoy significant turns of phrase with double entendre.  I believe creative minds excel at such things.  I'd like to believe that creative minds appreciate them as well.

Today is Saturday.  I was off Friday, which for me was the beginning of "Spring Break".  I have no travel plans this coming week.  I will probably spend the majority of my time working in my studio at home and doing some needed yard work in the garden.  If some thoughts occur to me in the process of reading and thinking I will post another segment sometime during the week as well.

Students in their second full day of working in the TEXTURE/VARIETY unit seemed to "settle down" a little in their approach to the work.  The first day they were so hyped to begin that they jumped right in and worked feverishly all period.  On the 2nd, they seemed to take their time and work more deliberately on their art.  I think that some of them thought they would have just the one day for some reason. I think it's hard for students to comprehend time/space continuum.  Even when they are told that they will be studying/working on a given idea for 3-4 weeks, they can't seem to adjust their activities accordingly.  Those that are prone to planning/sketching/drawing out their ideas beforehand sometimes get lost in that process, look up, and discover that the time has passed and they never quite got to what they were planning to do.  Others jump right into the fray and accomplish some really nice work, but then want to sit back and rest on their laurels.  Finding the right words of encouragement is key to moving the ideas along and prodding the "get after its" to build on what they have accomplished. 

I am posting a couple of the works from the first day that were included in the video in last post for your enjoyment.  I will also be posting the video onto the website, Art Class 2.0 .



No comments: