Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Don't Just Sit There...





I found this "quote" in a blog titled Thriving Too, which was one of the Daniel Pink's blogroll blogs.  I felt that it spoke to my concern for the process of creativity, which demands a certain amount of discipline.  I realize that most of the students "get it" and are engaged in their work.  I felt that at this point in the cycle, they all needed to be encouraged to analyze their work to this point and ask themselves honestly if they have spent enough time on it, or whether they have investigated alternatives to making their work better.  I reminded them, for example, of a short video and demo using colored pencils.  Some of them have used them as they might have used "map colors" in the elementary grades, coloring in a map lightly.  The video and demo addressed the use of the colored pencil by shading and glazing using a variety of colors on top of one another.  I also pointed out an alternative to finishing their crayon work, using watercolor resist.  From their reaction and work during the period, I think I was able to motivate them all in some way.

Speaking of getting in gear and doing something.  My daughter, Angela, suggested that I embed a counter which will tell me how many "hits" I have on this blog.  I was saying that I don't get many comments and can't tell how many people are actually paying any attention to what I'm doing.  Not that it matters, since this is, after all, mostly for my benefit.  But since I was curious, I did find a way to do that.  So over on the right, you wll see the number of times someone has stopped by to take a look.  I think most of them are probably me, since I look in every day to see if anyone left a comment.  Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, Ang.

I'm going to post this from my computer at school and then add some photos later from my home computer.  If you are looking at it now, come back later to view some great student work in progress.





2 comments:

Angi said...

I really don't think you can take credit for more than 500 of these hits... :-) I love this cartoon. Am stealing it as we speak.

Adam Jochum said...

and, if you're logging in from your own computer, blogger.com shouldn't be counting your hits, anyway. should be easy enough to tell, just log in and out a few times & see if the counter increments.