Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lessons 1 and 2

Happy Halloween...I decided today to post a couple of lessons I originally posted at the other blog site.  Originally I wanted to put those "logistical" elements somewhere else to keep this blog focussed on the actions of the day.  I think that some who have read this blog may want to actually see HERE what I have asked the students to concentrate on during the cycle.  So today the blog will consist of the first two lessons posted here.
The first lesson was very successful in that the students seemed to enjoy getting out their still life objects, setting them up into their own compositions, and then drawing from them.  I had never given students this flexibility before...always deciding what objects, how and where they were to be placed, and requiring each student to draw the same setup.  I justified it by knowing they each had their own perspective and each work would be different in that way...even though they would all be using the same size paper, drawn the same direction, and using the same media for the same length of time.  When I decided the time was up, the work was "finished" and the setup came down and we moved on.  Oh, do I like this way SO much better.  Here is the current lesson on Space/Rhythm and Movement.
One thing I did differently this cycle is dealing with the test.  I gave the students a test/guide question sheet on each of the concepts and asked them to fill them out as they read.  After reading their first "self tests", I thought that they might need a little help figuring out what might be important information to remember about the lesson.  We will see how that works out next week.

No comments: