Wednesday, October 6, 2010

So Much to Do...So Little time

"Putting off an easy thing makes it hard.Putting off a hard thing makes it impossible."
George Lorimer


A lot of paperwork and logistics needed to be handled today.  I handed out the new set of forms necessary for this cycle's activities.  The new grading rubric, the new daily grade log, and the new idea page for starters.  Then I explained and handed out our new 6 week test format.  I decided to try another tack on the one I originally set up.  I didn't feel that enough core material was researched by the students by simply having them write their own questions and answers.  This cycle I have given them a study guide for the unit on SHAPE and an actual test over the unit on RHYTHM AND MOVEMENT.  Their goal will be to read about these two concepts and answer the questions.  At the end of the cycle, I will have them turn them in and we'll grade them in class.  It will be an "open book" test, as it were. 

 I gave them an alternative to doing this as well.  They can choose to research a topic and give a 5 minute presentation to the the class on what they have researched.  It can be simply a topic they are interested in or a demonstration of a media or technique they found interesting that they want to show to the class.  I really hope that a few of them will opt to do this so I can video tape their presentation and post it on Youtube and link it to this blog.

I passed out the paper to the class that they will use this cycle.  I told them that any paper they had left over from last cycle could be used to either complete projects from then or they could use it to expand their involvement in this cycle's lesson.

Some of the students spent the majority of class time today working on the test papers and reading the textbooks.  A lot of them got started in earnest on their new ideas for this lesson.  Some brought their first ideas up for me to look at and I am seeing some exciting things even at this stage.  Next post I know I will be posting two or three of these works in progress.  We have an "off" day on Friday this week for the Secondary Schools Fair Day.  I'm going to try and prepare a coupe of video demos in the next few days to post.  Other than that, like the fella says, "not much to write home about."

No comments: