Monday, October 11, 2010

Presenting some idea suggestions for this lesson

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"
"You must do the things you think you cannot do"
Eleanor Roosevelt

Kind of a weird day at school today.  The kids had last Friday off for Secondary Fair Day, so a long weekend.  Right away we got into watching the videos I prepared just before school started with my iphone and tripod.  I really liked the way they came together and the setup in the classroom was much better than when I did them at home in the studio.  The light, the height of the desk area, and the availability of media was a lot easier to put it together.

The first one I showed was taken from the DRAW SQUAD book by Kintsler.  I had shown them 1 point perspective and how they might employ it in their new lesson.  This exercise uses what I call a "faux" perspective concept, where they are not concerned about any objects relating to any given point in space, just for the object to appear to be 3 dimensional and relate to the other shapes and forms in the design.FAUX PERSPECTIVE LINK

The second video presentation was using circles to create a "flowing rhythm" design using repetitive circles and the shapes created when two or more circles intersect.  I used the left-over spools from the leather laces I used for the runners' finisher medals project I had just completed.  I saw a lot of interest in this way of dealing with the lesson.cIRCLES VIDEO

The third video used the 3" squares we used last year in the motif repetition watercolor paintings we did when studying Rhythm and Movement.  I used the squares similarly to the circles, except I used overlapping to make the shapes appear to be in front ot one another.SQUARES VIDEO

I discussed ways that they might think about finishing off designs of this type with the medial they had to choose from.

The classes got right to work incorporating the ideas I had presented on their idea sheets.  Some even began using larger paper to play with the ideas.  My third period class was interrupted by a "fire drill" which ended up to be just a water pipe burst at the construction site.  Longest fire drill I have ever been a part of.  We were outside for the better part of an hour.  By the time we returned to the classroom, we barely had time to view the videos, discuss the ideas, and finish up with the grade sheets and log book entries.  Too bad.  Because of PSAT testing on Wednesday this week, we won't be back in class until Friday.

Parent conferences tonight (Tuesday).  I hope that I get a lot of parents in to present the blog site to them for their perusal.  I'd really like to get some feedback from some interested parents.  Of course, I ALWAYS look forward to hearing any comments from those of you who have taken the time to follow this blog process.  Thanks for your support.  P.S. If you would like to comment more privately, you may drop me a line at  jochumpottery.com  also.


No comments: