Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cycle One comes to rest today

"Only the gentle are truly strong"
James Dean (who died today in 1955)


Today was the last day of the first school year's cycle (6 weeks) and grades are due next Tuesday.  That typically means all physical work is finished and graded, all six weeks tests are given and graded, and all "paperwork" such as reports, etc. are to be turned in and graded.  So the students were busy the entire period taking care of business, as it were.  
I collected three pieces of paper from each student today.  The first was the "ART SELF-EXAM" where they were to list 10 questions and 10 answers from their reading and research this cycle.  Most had this finished.  I'm not as happy with this portion of this curriculum, yet.  I have told them it was to reflect what they had read in the textbook chapters on the subjects, not on their ability to copy definitions out of the glossary in the back.  I may change this part for next cycle in some way.
The second paper was the completed RUBRIC they used to assess their grade on their completed art work.  In this case, ALL were finished with this process and I felt that the results were surprising.  A few of them gave themselves failing grades.  The questions had them ask themselves whether they put anything of themselves into their project, whether they brought in any materials to complete it, whether they researched the lesson outside of class, among others.  
The third paper was their daily grade log they keep each day on the activities they have dealt with that day.  I have them average their grades in such things as to the completeness of their daily log, notes on demonstrations, notes on movies, and the progress of their art work.  Again, in looking at them, I felt that the grades were very close to what I would have given them
Overall, I feel that the greater percentage of the students are doing well with monitoring their progress in all these areas and I think that I will not change much in this regard very soon.
Lastly, I encourage you to check out the video I posted on Youtube with a link at the top of the page.  I had three students discuss briefly their art projects in terms of the lesson on LINE and BALANCE.  With no more warning or preparation than come back here and talk about it, I felt they did very well.


No comments: