Thursday, September 2, 2010

GO!!!!!!!!!

"The public is wonderfully tolerant, and forgives everything except genius"
                                  Oscar Wilde


Today was definitely GO day.  Students came in, got out their notebooks and art supplies, turned to last period's log, started a new log for today, just for starters.
I demonstrated the use of the india ink and dip pen they can use for their assignments.  Pictured here, you can see I used the "idea drawing" form.  The first box I wanted them to see how many lines you can draw with one dip of pen..we counted 21..the other squares represent other ways to use the pen to produce a variety of lines and value.  I felt the students were very attentive and seemed to get something out of the demo.

The students then went to the cupboards and selected the first objects they are going to draw for this first lesson.  They had the choice of drawing or research and back again as they wished.  So some grabbed books, and some grabbed objects.  Pictured below are two student drawings of two different objects done in contour line drawing style.  The first here is a tonka truck.  If  your screen will allow an enlargement, check out the drawing itself.  Very nice!  The next one is of some bones.  Again, nicely done.  I keep telling them that my goal is get them to think for themselves.  I am SO encouraged by the student's first day of actual creative activity.

2 comments:

JOCHUM FAMILY POTTERY said...

testing, testing

sborgerding said...

Very cool - wish my kids have you for a teacher...but I guess being their grandpa is better :)