Thursday, September 23, 2010

Some Questions and some Answers

"When did Kerry James Marshall start to want to create art?When he was in kidergarten looking at his teacher's scrapbook full of pictures"
Edeer Gautpm (student in 1st period)

Highly productive periods today.  Checking on the student's progress, I determined that students are about equally divided when choosing the size of product they will finish.  This is what I had hoped would be the case.  I also was interested in seeing what they had chosen for media and subject matter and expression.  Even though a few of them are doing the same thing as the person next to them, mostly I am seeing quite a variety of choices in each of these categories.  Again, very encouraging.
ENGAGEMENT:  I felt the need to speak to the students today about the need to focus on their work and not bother those around them with needless conversation.  As I reminded them, this curriculum is totally unique and it calls for the students to "measure up" to the expectation of self-discipline.  The last thing I want is to have to revert to teacher controlled learning.  This first six weeks cycle is a test of whether this can work with these students.  Right now I am seeing about 85% (just an arbitrary guess) of the students working to make it work.  My goal is still 100% and I believe it can happen.  Stay tuned.
TESTING:  The students are writing their own 6 weeks test based on their notes and research.  They have a form that is simply 10 numbered lines for their questions and answers.  Today I wanted some feedback on where they were with this process.  I had each of them submit one question/answer combo for me to check out.  The quote today is from one of the students who asked a question from the notes he took on the movie we watched on the artist Kerry James Marshall.  Some of others were:
Where and when did Expressionism develop as an art movement? End of 19th centurey Germany.
What are descriptive lines?  Lines that help us understand what we are seeing.
What is dimension?  The space an object takes up in one direction.
What do you need to create art?  Imagination and Creativity.
What are two types of balance?  Formal and Informal
These are just a few of the many and varied questions the students are asking and ansereing during this process.  I am very encouraged at this point and look forward to seeing an even greater depth of questions when I read their tests next week.
The line drawing at left was one I couldn"t get uuploaded the other day.  Here it is now next to the following days progress...shown to the right is a 12 X 18 charcoal composition by Jessica G. in 2nd period.  Still unfinished, but looking good.  She is using a piece of antler as her subject.
0

2 comments:

Kateri Jochum said...

Nice questions .... are you going to let them write their own test in TOTAL or pose a few questions yourself? Do they all write questions and then 10 get chosen for a test everyone takes? Or are the tests individual too? Great work Dad!

Anonymous said...

My idea about the test is it should be a reflection of what the student wants to be sure and retain from study ing a concept. So the way I set it up is that each student will write his/her own individual test each six weeks of 10 questions/answers...5 on the element studied and 5 on the principle of design. I will have them "shaare" verbally with their class mates in an open discussion. The grade they give themselves will be on the test they prepare. There will be no "test" per se. What is important to them will be retained.